Local History of the Church

Source of Name

Pepper (Milagu) is grown widely in and around Mulagumoodu. So it is said the name Mulagumoodu evolved from pepper most of the people are formers and palmyra climbers. He is in a remote village.

Ancient History

St. Thomas one of the twelve disciples of Jesus Christ came to India in 52A2. He preached Christianity in Kerela and Tamil Nadu. He died as a Marty in St. Thomas Mount, Chennai.
St Francis Xavier a Spanish Jesuit ( 1506 - 1552) missionary came to India. He propagates Christianity throughout the coastal areas of Kerela and Tamil Nadu and baptized many people into Christianity. He stayed few years in Kanyakumari Dt. In 1544. He had built two churches in Kottar and Thiruvithamcode which is 3.k.m away from Mulagumoodu.




Tamil Nadu






First Quilon, 1939 Kottar, Kuzhuithurai Former Vicariate church under Kottar Diocese


Situated in N.H. 47, 20 km from Nagercoil, 45 k.m from Thiruvananthapuram

View in Tamil

Rev. Fr. Victor of St. Anthony the first Parish priest of Mulagumoodu mission


At that time Mulagumoodu was an unknown abandoned village, It was not a Catholic village though there were some Christians,. Fr, Victor experienced some attraction there. He started his missionary work putting his trust in Christ Jesus and mother Mary. He got the necessary permission from his Superiers and changed the face of Mulagumoodu in 1862 . Fr. Victor purchased 40 acres of land in the Prime location of Mulagumoodu.
God Sent trust worthy servant of help. He is own younger brother, Fr. Eugene an O.C.D came over to India to join his brother. Both executed plans what God inspiring them.

The Rock House

As the Bibilical saying one who built his house in the rock is wise. Fr. Victor built a house on the top of rock which was in his campus. The area of the rock is eighteen cents a parocial house, a chaple and a bakery was also erected there.

Five storey Tower

Fr. Victor was not only a good missionary but also a great architect. Without using Cement and Steel Rods Fr. Victor constructed a five storey tower in his premises and fixed a lightning arrester which was brought from Europe at the top of the tower. After hundreds of years it stood like a monument in the newly started Infant Jesus College with I n 1888 Fr. Victor constructed 20 churches in our diocese.

Infant Jesus Orphanage

In the year 1868 and 1888 people had fallen in the group of the epidenic of Cholera. In those days there were no medical facilities like today. So, many people Died of the disease. The epidemic increased the number of orphans and distibutes. So father victor started an orphanage for the poor, neglected children. They were given training in various jobs such as carpentry , lace works, metal works and tile works.

Orphanage tile works

In order to get revenue to the orphanage Fr.Victor commenced a tile factory in 1883. Aceylon man paul Fernando was sent to Mangalore to study tile making. In those days only high caste people were allowed to get tiled roofs. Fr.Victor broke this old custom and allow all people to get their house tiled roofs. He brought a great Social change through his revalutionary sprit.

Founder of the convent

The good administration of his orphanages and service to the women folk demanded the service of some religious sisters, Fr.victor arranged to have the service of the order of St.Augustinion nuns. In 1891 the foundation stone was laid. It look about six years to complete the construction works. The Father and his brother Eugen themselves worked as masons and carpenters.Fr. Victor invited sisters Maric Louis and Maria Ursule from Belgium to take possession of the newly built convent .When they reached the founder was no more to service them.

The unexpected sudden death of Fr.Victor

Fr.Victor was strong in his health. Hence no body thought of losing him so quickly. By 1877 while at Mulagumoodu a painful sickness caught hold of him. Even through he was giving direction for the construction of a church in the convent premises. All of a sudden he collapsed with a cerebral stroke. He was taken to Quilon for further treatment but all in vain, on 28 th June Sunday 1897 he breathed his last.” I your dying soldier salutes you Christ Jesus” were his last words. According to his own request in the will on the following day the body was taken to Mulagumoodu, on 30 th His mortal remains laid in rest in St,Mary’s church which he had himself built. He was a man of jovial character a will of steel, a golden heart above all a good missionary. His 35 years untiring service will be remembered in the history for ever.

St. Mary’s Church renovation work

The first church was constructed in 1912 . It took eight years to complete the building works.
St Mary’s Church bell was brought from (France in the year 1891 by Fr. Victor. St Mary’s staticte which was made is a single piece of wood was also brought from Belgiuim by Fr. Victor. The painting picture of St. Mary 8” x 4” size which was at the right side of the alter Bishop Aloysius Maria Benziger 1905 - 1931 presented. The first post church Flag was donated by P.Cruzmichael contractor in 1932. The present 52 ft one was donated by J.V.S family in 2012
The first recognized portrayal of Mastyr Devasahayam Pillai which is ats the left side of the alter was drawn by artist B.K Kangan at Kanyakumari in 2008.


Rev.Fr.Donation a conganian of Fr.Victor became the successor of Mulagumoodu mission. In 1869 Rt. Rev. Fr. Charles Hycinth started a seminary in Mulagumoodu. In 1870 Fr. Marie Ephrem transferred the Seminary from Mulagumoodu to Tangaserry near Quilon

© 2024 PRIVATE POLICY || Powered By Bonifon Technologies Private Limited